UNITED STATES CUSTOMS
Import Regulations by the United States Customs
Alcohol 1 US quart
Tobacco 1000 cigarettes (just a reasonable amount of tobacco and about 100 cigars
Export Regulations by the United States Customs
Exports Prohibited Items
- Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals
- Psychotropic Drugs
- Obscene Literature
- Plants and Animals
- Firearms and Ammunitions
These goods or items may be allowed to be imported by visitors that are aged over 21 years old to the country – USA even without incurring the customs tax:
- 1 quart (0.951) of alcoholic beverage
- articles or gifts that would not exceed US$ 100 of value
- 200 cigarettes / 50 cigars / 2 kg of smoking tobacco or a proportionate amounts of each
i. Items must not be gift – wrapped since these items need to be accessible for customs inspection
ii. Alcoholic beverage allowance that is above is the country’s national maximum. There are certain States that would allow a lesser amount and if arriving into such States, the items that are in excess will then be withheld or taxed.
iii. For further information about importation of pets, refer to ‘Pets, Wildlife US Customs’ which is always available at any US Embassies and Consulates.
iv. For further information about US Customs and Regulations, you can check online (www.customs.ustreas.gov).
Prohibited & Restricted Items
Below is either banned or can only be imported under a license:
- Narcotics & those dangerous drugs, unless for medical purposes together with a doctors certificate is (required)
- Biological materials, absinthe, some seeds, fruits & plants which also includes the endangered species of vegetables, plants & their products
- Meat and those poultry products which could be fresh, dried / canned
- Hazardous articles like fireworks & some other toxic materials, that includes matches and match books unless if it is packed firmly in a closed container
- Firearms and ammunition
- Any fish (unless it is certified as disease – free)their eggs, unless if it is canned, smoked/pickled
- Cuban cigars that are brought from any country
- Dairy products & eggs
- Wildlife and the endangered species, including mollusks, eggs, crustaceans, game & hunting trophies and the crafted articles of any part
- Dog and cat fur
- Some art and artifacts (like those murals, the monumental, and the architectural sculpture of the Pre-Columbian from South America)
- Imports that are from Iran & those leather souvenirs from Haiti (like drums)
- Some automobiles
- More than 1 article (which is limited to once in every 30 days) displaying a counterfeit/confusingly similar logo to trademarked & those copyrighted articles
- Merchandise from restricted countries such as Montenegro & Sudan, Afghanistan, Libya, Serbia, Iraq, Iran and Cuba; with the following information materials which include recordings, pamphlets, books, films and tapes, are permitted, except if it is from the country
Medals, gold coins and bullion were previously barred can now be carried into the country – USA excluding from those embargoed countries.
Other United States Customs Information
A medical insurance that would cover at least US$ 500,000 is strongly recommended. Only those emergency cases will be treated even without prior payment and often times, its treatment will be refused if it doesn’t show any insurance or a payment deposit. All of the medical receipts must be at all times kept securely so that you can make a claim from your insurance. The medical facilities are usually of an extreme quality. Purchasing certain medications would require doctor’s prescription in the US while on other countries as it is readily available over the counter.
Those who are planning to the visit the country for long periods together with their school – age children should note that the school entry requirements would include the following: documents that give proof to immunization against measles, diphtheria, rubella, poliomyelitis, mumps, tetanus and pertussis or otherwise known as whooping cough. Those HIV – positive tourists should apply for waiver of inadmissibility at the USA Embassy prior to entering the country.
If you are fond enjoying the wildlife, rabies may be prevalent. Before the arrival, for those at a high risk of such animal bites, you should consider vaccination first. If bitten, you should immediately seek medical help without any delay.